how to translate .desktop files for multimedia-menus

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 03:00:54 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 11:46 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> The new FedoraStudio feature we will have with F-12 comes with an
>> optional multimedia-menus package. By installing this package, users
>> will have a categorized Sound&Video/Multimedia menu in their desktop
>> menu.
>>
>> The names of these submenus are defined in .desktop files. It appears
>> to be that the Name and Comment keys in these .desktop files need
>> translations. We have about 20-22 strings waiting for translation. I
>> couldn't find a way to make Transifex talk to .desktop files maybe
>> because I am not much familiar with it. I was advised on IRC to write
>> on this list.
>
> If there's a tool to convert a .desktop file into a POT file, and then
> host this on fedorahosted, we could set it up pretty easily.

Alright. I believe that I can produce a .pot file from the .desktop
files via xgettext. How about the other way around? Is there a .po
file parser that I can use to put the translated strings back into the
.desktop files?

For instance, assume that we have a .desktop file with the line:

Comment="Blue"

Now, after the translations are done, (.desktop -> .pot -> .po ->
.desktop) I want these lines added to the .desktop file:

Comment[de]=Blau
Comment[fr]=Bleu
etc.

If there's such a parser, I can write a simple Makefile to generate
the final .desktop files. Otherwise I'll write my own parser.

Orcan