Release-note is long and hard for translating

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Tue May 5 22:50:05 UTC 2009

2009/5/6 Ruediger Landmann <r.landmann at redhat.com>:
> Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
>> During today's FLP meeting, another idea came up to address this issue
>> from l10n team side that is to break the file in small chunks.
>> Could you kindly assess the feasibility and the scope of this idea?
>>
> As some of you know, Publican works with multiple small po files rather
> than the one big po file that you're seeing at the moment. In fact, to
> build the documents, the docs team has to break up the po files that
> translators are contributing so that we can feed the multiple small
> files back into Publican.
>
> On 29 April, Dimitris announced that Transifex 0.6 has support for
> multiple po files in the same component and that Fedora's Transifex
> instance will be updated to this version after Fedora 11 is out. You can
> see a screenshot of this feature on the Transifex page here:
> http://docs.transifex.org/releases/0.6.html (scroll down to "Multiple
> files per language").

Rudi, I think the translators are mostly worried that the document as
a whole is large, not that the PO files themselves are large.

The Q I have is: Should we continue pushing the big release notes, or
should we consider either reducing their size or producing a compact
version which will be more easy to translate and probably more
compelling to our users as well, similar to eg. GNOME release notes?

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/