This isn't working, how can we make it better?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Oct 5 10:00:19 UTC 2009

As some translators on this list are aware, I've got a few packages
with unmerged translation bugs going back a long way.

I'd really like translators to be able to contribute translations
directly into my projects, as outlined here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/FAQ#How_do_I_add_a_module_to_Transifex.3F_.28.23add-transifex.29

and from what I hear from another project where this is done[0] it
seems to work really well.

_However_ neither of the methods described above is suitable for me.

I don't want to change the project hosting to use Fedorahosted, and I
cannot allow ssh access to the hosting machines from anywhere in the
world.

What would really work much better is if transifex could publish a
git[1] repository with a rebasable branch containing the translations
that I could pull.  I could track this branch automatically, and merge
the contents in just before a release (resolving any conflicts
myself).

An alternative would be to allow me to rsync the po/ directory (as is
done by translationproject.org[2]).

What do you think?

Rich.

[0] virt-v2v

[1] Some of the projects are using Mercurial, but we'll be switching
these over to git real soon.

[2] http://translationproject.org/html/maintainers.html

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/