Translating manpages

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Wed Apr 7 06:41:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Domingo Becker <domingobecker at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/4/6 Ruediger Landmann <r.landmann at redhat.com>:
>> On 04/06/2010 11:59 PM, Domingo Becker wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems to be a bit more complicated than translating po files.
>>> Man pages are in nroff/troff format.
>>> So the problem here is to convert that format to .po format to allow
>>> translations with our tools and then back to nroff/troff format.
>>>

>> po4a (PO for All) can do manpage-to-PO and back:
>> http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/
>>
>> This is already packaged for Fedora -- to try it out,
>>
>> yum install po4a
>>
>> then to convert a manpage called cgget.1 into a PO file (for example, in
>> fr-FR):
>>
>> po4a-gettextize -f man -m cgget.1 -p cgget-fr-FR.po
>>
>> then, to apply the PO file to the manpage:
>>
>> po4a-translate -f man -m cgget.1 -p cgget-fr-FR.po -l cgget.fr.1
>>
>> (NB -- I don't know the naming conventions for translated manpages --
>> this is an example only).
>
> Thanks a lot, Rudi!  :-)
> That's what I'm talking about.

Domingo, you can take a look on how some others are doing it. I'm
pretty sure these problems were already faced and solved.

> Dimitris: you started this thread. What's the procedure to ask for a
> new package in translate.fp.o?
> The package I want to create is man-pages-es with multiple .po files.

Take a look at the documentation on the wiki, and search for an
existing spec file to copy:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers

Now, given the cross-distro nature of this topic, I think it's time to
start thinking how to share this work between communities. I'd love to
see some of our translators got in touch with their language's
ambassador in e.g. Debian and started a thread.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos