Translating manpages

Pablo Martin-Gomez pablo.martin-gomez at laposte.net
Fri Apr 9 18:17:01 UTC 2010

Le Sun, 21 Mar 2010 23:15:04 +0200,
Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> a écrit :

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Pablo Martin-Gomez
> <pablo.martin-gomez at laposte.net> wrote:
> > Le Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:38:45 +0200,
> > Dimitris Glezos <glezos at indifex.com> a écrit :
> >
> >> Here's a Q: How are manpages translated? Are they translated at
> >> all? If they are translated somehow, how would they be packaged?
> >>
> >> I see Debian having a few teams collecting manpages and translating
> >> them via PO files. Sounds like a good meta-distro-project of sorts.
> >
> > Just to comment the second part. I recently switch the source of the
> > man-pages-fr package to the Debian's one. Excluding the easiness of
> > translating po files instead of man files, this Debian project has a
> > cool initiative : they collected the patches from the Fedora's
> > man-pages package, created a dedicate file to translate this
> > changes, and eventually built a tarball for Fedora with our patches
> > included. And they do this for almost every distro.
> >
> > For now, they use a git repo to manage the po files. I suggest them
> > to use Transifex as a front-end (Tx.net or a dedicated instance)
> > but they prefer to wait for having more distro around the table
> > before using a more user friendly interface.
>
> Hey Pablo.
>
> This is really cool. What git repo is it? Is this only for the french
> manpages? If yes, can it be extended to all languages?
>
> Maybe we could start a discussion off-mailing list (since lots of CC's
> of unsubscribed users will lead to chaos) and get the opinion of more
> people?
>
> -d

As Ruediger said, they use po4a to translate from and to the .man
files. Specifically, there is a framework based on po4a, perkamon,
which the git is : http://gitorious.com/perkamon.
Even if it's french-centred, I think perkamon have already be use for
translating man-pages to Japanese.

I've being in contact with the guy behind the project about this. He
will surely contact you soon.

Pablo