Translating manpages

daniel cabrera logan at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 16 16:09:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 3:03 AM, Inna Kabanova
<ikabanova at russianfedora.ru> wrote:

> Good day!
>
> ----- "Stephen Gallagher" <sgallagh at redhat.com> пишет:
>
>> I want to derail this thread slightly. How would one go about
>> configuring a project to enable translations of manpages by
>> Transifex?
>
> We (Russian team) have already tried to use Transifex for translating manpages [1]. But we still have some problems with on-line translating. And everything else is all right. So I believe this project can be multilingual.
>
> [snip]
>
>> We write our manpages in Docbook XML, so it can be easily converted
>> into
>> Troff, HTML, etc.
>>
>> My question is: how can we extract strings from this XML so that we
>> can
>> add them to the .pot file for Transifex?
>
> As I know you can do it with po4a.
>
> [1] - https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/man-pages/
>
> --

So, Yulia, Inna, just to be certain, do you think your team in Tx.net
will allow other languages to join you and to use the structure you've
created? If yes, can we use your repositorys, or perhaps you think
that it's better host the files somewhere else? And the last thing:
I've found another translations of man pages in Tx.net [2] that are
also related with you guys: Is there somewhere else where we have to
look for?

[1] http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/man-pages/
[2] http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/manpages-ylsoftware-ru/

See you around,
Daniel Cabrera (es)

PS: Stephen, I think it'd be great if you could try (and then tell us
how it went) extracting the strings you need to be translated with
po4a, because maybe other package maintainers will be interested in
this project.