Translating manpages

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Mon Mar 15 21:41:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Domingo Becker
<domingobecker at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/3/13 Dimitris Glezos <glezos at indifex.com>:
>> Here's a Q: How are manpages translated? Are they translated at all?
>> If they are translated somehow, how would they be packaged?
>>
>> I see Debian having a few teams collecting manpages and translating
>> them via PO files. Sounds like a good meta-distro-project of sorts.
>
> Since Fedora 7 I see man pages in Spanish.
> The package is man-pages-es.
> We (Fedora L10N) are not translating it.
>
> I must say that section 3 (C Library functions), the one I use too
> much, is correctly translated.
>
> It would be nice if we can contribute to it's translation, either from
> t.fp.o or from tx.n

It seems that each project is pulling the translations from a
different place. Which makes it probably safe to assume that people
are doing duplicate work.

It'd be great if we could start a discussion on how this could be
improved. Grab all PO files for a bunch of languages, msgmerge them,
push them to a common repo, and setup Transifex to send translations
there. Then we can email the package maintainers to switch to this
repo.

Or am I day-dreaming again for a world where there is one global
translation community?

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos