Languages for Guides

Eric "Sparks" Christensen sparks at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 4 00:34:49 UTC 2010

On 05/03/2010 08:18 PM, noriko wrote:
> Eric "Sparks" Christensen さんは書きました:
>>
>> I wrote a little script to create languages for guides before starting
>> the translation process so all the languages show up in Transifex.
>>
>> Can someone give me a list of all languages that I need to include?  I
>> need the entire "en-US, de-DE" designation.
>
> Hi,
> I am sorry coming late to consult this to you.
> Recently TQSG has been updated, and includes the information for
> first-ever translation locale [1]. But I am feeling now that it might be
> a bit silly to expect every single guide has all of those languages' POs
> listed [2]. Because some of them may not simply work on particular
> guides depending on their team size. I am not sure how others feel.

I agree.  If there are a limited number of translators available for a
particular language I certainly don't expect them to get all "our"
guides translated.  I do want to make the po files available, however,
so they will know that they are available.  If they start on a guide
their translations will be forwarded to the next release so their work
is commulative.

> How about to set the line such as XX% and over? For example, as 'Release
> Notes' is highest priority among other guides, so that the languages
> which have achieved this line set for rel-notes will be included in your
> script for guides. Any other language can make a inclusion request by
> filing a bug. Or any other way is fine.

I've definitely been publishing translations that are 85% and higher.
We may want to reduce that percentage, though, as desired.  Any language
group that wants their work published, or not published, on a particular
guide can simply contact someone on the docs list and let us know.

> It is up to docs team, and TQSG will be modified accordingly.
>
> [1]:http://docs.fedoraproject.org/translation-quick-start-guide/en_US/sect-Translation_Quick_Start_Guide-Translating_Documentation-Creating_docbook_locales_File.html
>
> [2]:https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/p/docbook-locales/c/master/
>

> noriko

- --Eric