Receive all files in archive feature of Transifex

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Tue May 4 22:28:16 UTC 2010

On 05/05/2010 08:04 AM, Shaiton wrote:

> Is it possible to git clone all po files ? (for release notes for example)
> And to commit them using git ? (Should be extremly useful for technical
> notes...)

You can certainly use git (or SVN, in the relatively few books that use
that) to obtain the PO files. For example, to get the F13 Installation
Guide files:

git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/docs/install-guide.git
cd install-guide
git branch --track f13 origin/f13

However, I don't think it's a good idea to submit translations this way;
the chances of causing a collision or misplacing files is too great.
Anyone who's ever had to untangle a particularly messy collision in a
version control system can tell you that this is Not Fun! Transifex was
created specifically to facilitate large numbers of translators working
together on projects and avoid these  complications.

An added bonus of checking out your book like this is that if you
install publican and publican-fedora, you can proofread your work
locally before uploading the files to Transifex. In the book directory:

publican build --formats=html --langs=de-DE

You'll find the output in a tmp directory.

Cheers
Ruediger