Index page translation

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 05:57:07 UTC 2010

  On 09/02/2010 07:09 AM, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> I am asking for another project: How do you generate the .pot files
> from the index.html file, and how do you generate the resulting language
> index.html files?

Hi Keld --

Actually, we do something a little different:

The source (English) version of the text is in a DocBook XML file.[0] We
use a tool called Publican[1] to generate POT files and PO files for
that XML file.

When we publish, Publican transforms the XML into HTML, and when we
publish in a language other than English, Publican applies the PO file
to the XML before transformation.

Publican also builds and maintains the website structure and navigation
elements.

This process ensures that we only have one single source for any
document, regardless of how many formats we publish it in, and that
changes are easily propagated throughout the PO files for all languages
in a (semi) automated fashion. Depending on the nature of your project,
this might be overkill :)

Cheers

Rudi

[0] for example, see here: