libguestfs now has two pot files (was: Re: Advice sought for translating manpages)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Sep 4 16:23:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 04:28:26PM +0200, Piotr Drąg wrote:
> 2010/9/4 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>:
> > We've pushed that patch upstream.  This means that libguestfs now has
> > two POT files, and therefore needs two components in transifex:
> >
> > https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/p/libguestfs/
> >
> > The original file is 'po/libguestfs.pot' and the new file is
> > 'po-docs/libguestfs-docs.pot' (both on the 'master' branch in git).
> >
> > So I guess to whomever it is that can change the Fedora transifex
> > configuration, can you add the second component please.
> >

> I've added it now. [1] You can use Bugzilla for any requests from l10n
> team. It's product "Fedora Localization", component "l10n-requests".

OK, next time :-)

> I've also noticed an information in the commit description that you
> would like to combine these two POT files together in the future. I
> don't think this is a good idea because this POT file for docs has
> almost 4k strings, and even more because UI and docs translations
> always are, and should be, separated.

Fair enough, that's a good reason.  Combining them would be a big pain
anyway, so my p.o.v leaving them separate it a Good Thing.

> I would also like to take this opportunity to (yet again) remind you
> the fact that submitting translation files by Bugzilla is not
> efficient in any terms and try to convince you to use direct commit
> option via SSH provided by Transifex. virt-manager and friends use
> this for a while and they didn't report any problems so far. You've
> got three (sic!) complete translations so far. virt-manager has 16
> translations completed in more than 90%.

Yes indeed, one day I'm going to set up "option 3".

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N_FAQ#How_do_I_add_a_module_to_Transifex.3F_.28.23add-transifex.29
"If the module is hosted elsewhere but you don't want to give out ssh access"

Actually that reminds me to ask Fedora Infrastructure a related
question:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/infrastructure/2010-September/009421.html

Thanks for doing the transifex setup and your continuing hard work on
translations.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top