About %s order problem

tiansworld tiansworld at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 15:31:09 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

The problem I met is: when there exist two or more %s in a msgid line
of a PO file,
for example:msgid "Creating %s filesystem on %s". How to setup their
order in a right way in translation.

I use %1$s and %2$s to distinguish them in msgstr line.  But this
didn't work, and showed
error message:  fatal error 'msgstr' is not a valid Python format
string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: In the directive number 1, the
character '$' is not a valid conversion specifier.

I suppose that this is a PO file format related problem. The problem
will cause some of languages(like Chinese) translation in a wrong
order, and be misunderstood by end-users.

How to solve this?

PS: The example msgid I use in this mail, is from anaconda.po fedora
14 branch.[1]

[1] https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/p/anaconda/c/f14-branch/

Thanks
--