Minutes from the Fedora L10N coordination meeting

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 15:12:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 02:35:33PM +1000, noriko wrote:
> Mike Hideo さんは書きました:

> >> It was discussed in a Fedora L10N meeting last Feb 15 [1], and we
> >> decided that it's better to do it now.
> >>
> >> [1] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-02-15/fedora-meeting.2011-02-15-13.00.html
> >
> > It takes great courage to disagree and to carefully weigh the impact and
> > alternatives with so many board members in a localization meeting.
> >
> > http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-02-15/fedora-meeting.2011-02-15-13.00.log.html
>
> There were eight +1s voting for working system/workflow, since we only
> have broken transifex but no alternate option to choose on fp.o but the
> move.
>
> Please notice that two +1s voted with the condition of exit plan (aka, a
> plan to get the system back on fp.o in the future), and another +1 with
> some hesitation stated.

Mike, thanks for speaking up about your concerns.  Not being a member
of either the Board or the L10n steering group, I attended simply as
an interested third party who wants to see translators able to do
great work in Fedora.  I'm happy to see everyone involved in this
discussion has the needs of translators as their top priority.

Currently the biggest pain translators have is unfixed bugs in the
Fedora-hosted Tx 0.7 instance.  Upstream (Transifex.net, or Tx.n)
continues to outpace us with new releases and enhancements that make
translators' lives easier and the platform more useful.  The largest
issue is not the migration from a Fedora-hosted instance to Tx.n, but
simply making a newer version available to translators so they can
work more efficiently.

The vast majority of the pain involved with transition is needed just
so we can have effective translations for F15.  The migration to Tx.n
is a way to make this transition happen faster, and in itself
hopefully should cause little pain to translators other than an
account signup.

FWIW, I support this move since it will help the community's
efficiency.  At the same time, my concerns (as I stated in the
meeting) are around having speedy communication with stakeholders,
including but not limited to Fedora's hosted project owners.  Once the
migration plan is in place, we expect an announcement with details to
devel-announce.  Progress can be followed in #fedora-l10n.