L10N migration to transifex.net

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Mon Feb 21 07:12:23 UTC 2011

написане Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:10:55 +0200, Ricky Zhou
<ricky at fedoraproject.org>:

> Sorry to say this, but it's not quite a vote of confidence yet   I'm
> still trying to get more of a understanding on the reasons that some
> people don't want to move to transifex.net.

 From the point of view of a translator (that is my private point of view):

1) transifex.net is as trashy as Launchpad was not in its wildest days.
Anyone can register the project with no obligation to its translators at
all. Noone looks at the licensing of these translations. Launchpad at
least does not allow projects of "just for me" translations. If this
practice on transifex.net will be continued, the server of the project
become very overloaded by the trash.

2) Many developers seems do not care at all (or do not know anything)
about updating the templates of their projects (packagekit,
shared-mime-info, quassel, freeipa(?), et al.). I believe that current
scheme of 1.0+ does not work and should be rearranged. It is very unusual
for developers and translators.

3) Interface of 1.0+ is very crowded and overloaded. There is no way to
switch back to classic interface. In Tx 0.9 it is suffice to push one
button to do anything. In 1.0 you have to push two or more buttons to do
the same thing. Search function does not work for localized messages.
Translation memory does not work (anyway Lokalize do it in magnitudes
better, but the fact is not very promising).

4) polib (the engine of new transifex) suffers from severe bugs due to
implementation of some Python string functions. These bugs can lead to
impossibility of localized Fedora installation.

5) Current t.fp.o installation "just works" regardless to the frustration
that we have in the past.

There is no time enough to test everything thoroughly before Lovelock will
be released. The bugs in Fedora 15 can severely damage GNOME 3.0
reputation.

That is why I think that transition (even transition to 1.0 in t.fp.o)
should be postponed to past Lovelock period.

Best regards,
Yuri
Ukrainian translator