Transifex.net migration may lead to loss of our copyright headers

Dimitris Glezos glezos at indifex.com
Fri Feb 25 08:49:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Manuel Eduardo Ospina Sarmiento
<mospina at redhat.com> wrote:

> Is this enough? will we lose the name of the translators
> that have worked since 1998 and put "others" instead?

The solutions proposed so far are to add the existing copyright
information in the POT file or in a separate TRANSLATORS file. The
long-term solution would be to see someone with the itch to actually
implement support for it [1].

Although it doesn't mean we shouldn't improve the copyright
attribution process, please keep in mind that not all translators were
indeed updating the headers so far (at least Tx wasn't doing this when
you translated online).

A final note, potentially useful: past file editors could be taken
from the VCS history directly.

-d

[1]: http://trac.transifex.org/ticket/675

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Dimitris Glezos <glezos at indifex.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Ville-Pekka Vainio
>> <vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>>> It was brought to our attention by a Mageia translator on #fedora-l10n
>>> today, that the new version of Transifex does not leave the copyright
>>> headers in po files intact.
>>
>> FYI -- We are tracking the issue on this ticket (vpv already added
>> some useful comments on it):
>>
>>  http://trac.transifex.org/ticket/675
>
> Since that ticket is more generally about the treatment of comments, I
> didn't add this issue there, but for Fedora translations, are we able
> to ensure the copyright notice reads at a minimum, "Copyright (C)
> <year> Red Hat, Inc. and others"?
>
> Paul

Dimitris Glezos