Transifex.net migration may lead to loss of our copyright headers

Domingo Becker domingobecker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 22:59:47 UTC 2011

2011/2/25 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> [...]
>> > not.  I simply wanted to point out the copyright notice itself should
>> > *at least* say that Red Hat is not the only copyright owner.  It would
>> > be ideal if translators were all listed.  As I understand it that
>> > listing would not be terribly difficult to add as a feature.
>>

>> This has been discussed before [1] and [2], and it comes from 2006.
>>
>> Let's talk about a long term solution for this, again.
>>
>> It is useless to have comments that will be removed from the po file
>> by the po compiler. They will not be present in the rpm package nor in
>> the published document (using publican).
>>
>> The copyright message may be solved with a LICENSE file in the whole
>> project together with the source files in the source tree.
>>
>> The translator history is another different story. It is used
>> sometimes by translators (although mostly not used), and, if it is
>> well implemented, it may serve for acknowledging translators for their
>> work.
>>
>> If I may choose here, I prefer a string like "translator-credits",
>> which end up in the application like they do in gpk-application or
>> system-config-printer, and the only translators shown are the ones for
>> the current selected locale.
>>
>> A po file editor like poEdit doesn't show the comments at the
>> beginning of the po file, one would need to open the .po file with
>> gedit to see them. However, all po file editor have a search tool, and
>> a translator should only know what string to search for to see the
>> translation history and modify it accordingly.
>>
>> With a document managed with publican, there might be a string like
>> that too, in a section like "<para>translator-credits</para>" in the
>> xml file for a chapter, just like the Colophon chapter/section Paul
>> once proposed [3]. I saw it is possible to implement. I will ask
>> Guillermo Gomez (gomix) to implement it in the Software Management
>> Guide, just for the proof of concept.
>>
>> So, the copyright message in a comment in a source file can be solved
>> with a LICENSE file in the source tree, the same way it is done with
>> some Fedora packages where the license is missing in the source code.
>>
>> The translator history clearly needs a solution outside Tx. It only
>> needs developers and doc-writers care for the L10N people who will
>> contribute translating their work.
>>
>> [1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-April/msg00174.html
>>
>> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue174#Document_Colophon
>>
>> [3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-March/msg00132.html
>
> I heard jsmith say on IRC earlier today, but didn't see him post here
> about it, so apologies if this is old news.  DocBook lets you use:
>
>  <articleinfo>
>    <othercredit role="translator">Domingo Becker</othercredit>
>  </articleinfo>
>
> I haven't used Publican in a while now and it's been through several
> revisions.  Does anyone know how it treats these entries, off the top

I've been talking about this with Guillermo Gomez, and it's under testing.

The tracking ticket is at

http://rpmdev.proyectofedora.org/issues/488

> I agree the hard work of translators should be recognized wherever
> possible!

Thank you, Paul!

I'll let you know if what I propose for publican docs works fine.

It would be only one simple way to manage this either if it is
software or a publican document.

kind regards

Domingo Becker (es)