2nd intl.workshop on FOSS rule-based machine translation

Jesús Franco tezcatl at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 19 08:28:24 UTC 2011

Hi!

An event than could interest all of us, related to translation *and*
free/open-source it's coming up and it would be hosted by the prestigious
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya.

http://www.uoc.edu/freerbmt11/

The introduction of the site:

	This workshop aims to bring together the experience of researchers
	and developers in the field of rule-based machine translation who
	have decided to get on board the free/open-source train and are
	*effectively contributing to creating a commons of explicit
	knowledge*: machine translation rules and dictionaries, and
	machine translation systems whose behaviour is transparent and
	clearly traceable through their explicit logic.

(I've added the *bold*) This is an area of real interest to me, there are
pretty good translation memories we can access today *because people is
sharing*. You can read all about this here:

http://www.tausdata.org/blog/2010/08/everyones-sharing-translations/

My own discussion about why this is worth of your attention:

There is no doubt than machine automated translation is helping in the work
of every translator at Fedora/FOSS at a large. But we shouldn't take for
sure "Google is going better and better and i don't need to do anything
after copypasting my strings for translation on it" as someone as said in
the past.

By the way, i'm in the way of starting a project for sharing among
Fedora/FOSS translators translation memories in a common repository (by
language), and i'd like to know your experience about this:

Which is the best way to share your translation memories on a repo we can
fit to our needs?

I've thought about putting all together in a git repo (by language pairs),
where everybody can push his updates to the memories, and pull the
contributed by their peers, loading it into their preferred translation
software.

But i think is easier to say it than doing it? Or not?

Which is the way do you reuse your own translation memories? How do you
share with your fellows at your Fedora translation team?

Thanks in advance for every comment (even the tiniest) you want to share.

--
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created
them." Albert Einstein