2nd intl.workshop on FOSS rule-based machine translation

Robert Antoni robert.buj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 06:42:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

All workshop papers are now available at
http://openaccess.uoc.edu/webapps/o2/browse?type=author&value=International+Workshop+on+Free%2FOpen-Source+Rule-Based+Machine+Translation+%282nd+%3A+2011+%3A+Barcelona%29

Regards,

Robert

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Yaron Shahrabani <sh.yaron at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Jesús Franco <tezcatl at fedoraproject.org>wrote:
>
>> Yaron, thank you very much for your quick reply, i'll comment
>> interleaving.
>>
>> Yaron Shahrabani wrote:

>> take
>>
>> I use Google just marginally, when i'm not able to find a logic
>> translation
>> (done by another human), among shared TM in TAUS and maybe too in forums.
>> prefer quality on the translation sense over quantity over number of
>> strings
>> translated (unfortunately, i can't talk by other members of spanish
>> translation team :S).
>>
> LOL, I share the same thought ☺.
>
> I never ran into TAUS, is there a way to take advantage of it in Linux?
>

>> > I think most of the efforts should be aimed at building Apertium
>> corpuses.
>>
>> Unfortunately i think apertium is not packaged at Fedora, and in my own
>> experience translating from English to Spanish it returns something like
>> you
>> call "stupid TM". Maybe i'm not getting the point, but my feeling about
>> this
>> is than machines are far of replacing people at this moment, whatever app
>> you use.
>>
> Lack of training and rules, in TM you can train but you can't create rules.
>

>> > The problem is that we can't build corpuses so easily, in order to
>> create
>> > a working corpus many hours of work are needed, if there was only a
>> > simpler way of creating them and maintaining them using AI it would be
>> > great (or even creating a graphical tool to aid in this mission).
>>
>> My thought about the sharing ideas come from my own experience using
>> virtaal
>> which lets me access to my own TM. Domingo Becker has come with a thought
>> about connecting his translation app to Google or something kinda much the
>> same.
>>
> I truly hope I could contribute back to Google or Microsoft, although I
> don't have control over it.
> How about improving open-tran.eu so we can train it? Isn't it a much
> better resolution?
> Open-Tran.eu is really low on resources so we can't acheive something like
> this with the current instance of Open-Tran.eu, also I think users should
> have the ability to vote on certain translation, this way their statistical
> significance will be AIed as well...
> Virtaal 0.7.0 b2 supports open-tran.eu (a bug in previous versions
> prevented us from using it).
>

>> > Building "stupid" TMs with statistical data can be sometimes false and
>> > they need lots of AI to get better, building good corpuses with the
>> right
>> > rules for every language will help computers understand human language
>> in
>> > source and destination languages.
>>
>> I think we are talking about different directions. I don't believe
> [...]

FQN: Robert Antoni Buj Gelonch
AKA: Robert Buj

Advanced-level training cycle (ca: CFGS) in computer software engineering
(ca: DAI) - les Heures, technical academy (SPA)
Computer Science Engineer - University of Lleida (UDL), Lleida (SPA)
Training course in Handel-C & DK design suite - Celoxica Ltd., Abington (UK)
Training course in Xilinx EDK & Microblaze - Autonomous University of Madrid
(UAM), Madrid (SPA)
Postgraduate Master's degree in .NET Solutions - Open University of
Catalonia (UOC), Barcelona (SPA)
Postgraduate Master's degree in FOSS (Free and open source software)
(upcoming) - Open University of Catalonia (UOC), Barcelona (SPA)

ca: M'agradaria millorar el món, però Déu no em dóna el codi font!
de: Ich würde gern die Welt verbessern, doch Gott gibt mir den Quellcode
nicht!
en: I would like to improve the world, but God didn't give me the source
code!
es: Me gustaría mejorar el mundo, pero Dios no me da el código fuente!

gpg fingerprint = 0800 D37B C187 CC6E 9D0C 0AF4 265D 0096 AC78 6412