Proposal: New Fedora Localization Guide

Misha Shnurapet shnurapet at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 22 13:08:03 UTC 2011

22.06.2011, 21:48, "Dimitris Glezos" <glezos at indifex.com>:
> Today I spent a few hours and created a new and updated version of the
> Fedora L10n Guide:
>
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Guide
>
> What's new?
>
> - Re-used a lot of content from the excellent TQSG we had in Docs.
>
> - The content was updated to reflect our new infrastructure. A huge chunk of
>   warnings and questions has gone away, since the new Tx arch handles things
>   transparently, eliminating msgmerge errors, POT files missing etc.
>
> - The FAQ page was also updated & merged at the bottom of the guide, to make
>   sure we keep it up2date.
>
> - The guide was put on the Wiki instead of publican. This will allow us to
>   maintain it live, with more people, more content & translations.
>
> - I suggest to completely remove the docs-based TQSG and focus on having only
>   one guide. This will avoid confusion and the content will always be updated.
>
> Finally, we've been documenting a lot of things on the Transifex Help Pages,
> which are integrated into the tool itself. We'll be adding more content there,
> so that translators will have it right at their fingertips.
>
>  http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/
>
> Let me know what you think! If you find any errors, just jump in and Edit the
> page directly!

There's been a lot of steps that must be taken in order to start contributing.

Could we have something nicer, like:

In order to start contributing you need to:

1. Become a member of the community
  * Create a FAS account
  * Accept the FPCA
2. Get access to the material to work on
  * Create a Transifex account
  * Sign up for the trans mailing list
  * Send an introduction
  * Request entrance to the L10n team

Having a pageful of tasks to implement before you actually get to do something is pretty discouraging. That's how I felt at first and that's what I've heard from other people.

Another thing: are GPG keys really used by translators in any task? I've been contributing for two years and never had a need to use it. Can they skip it please?

--
Best regards,
Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode