Transifex vs. offline tools

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 24 08:48:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There is a strange sentence in new "Fedora Localization Guide"
>
>   But definitely try the web-editor first, since it has many features not
> available when translating offline.
>
> Can somebody guide me to the page with the list of the features "not
> available when translating offline"? If there is no such page, can this
> misleading statement be removed?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answers.
>
> Best regards,
> Yuri

Dimitris would be best to answer, but here are some points:

- Translating with Lotte is faster (no need to download the file, find
it, open it, save it, upload it).
- Lotte send you email while msgmerge fails "If you edited the file
via Lotte, you’ll be notified about errors in an email with the file
attached."[1]. I've never seen that in action. While uploading a file,
I think we only get the error.
- You can write suggestions that can be pondered.
- Translation memory is going to be shared between project for next
release (sorry I could not find the link...)
- probably more. (I don't know if we get them as fuzzy while
downloading in order to translate offline).

Of course, we have just to read users feedback in order to know what
Transifex could provide soon.

Here is my view as translator, but sincerely, I am not using Lotte.
French language really needs to be proofread and we are working
offline. hope to be able soon to upload file as suggestions in order
to discuss them online.

[1] http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/faq.html#faq-index

--
Kévin Raymond