Transifex vs. offline tools

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 24 17:48:03 UTC 2011

2011/6/24 Misha Shnurapet <shnurapet at fedoraproject.org>:
> 24.06.2011, 21:59, "tiansworld" <tiansworld at fedoraproject.org>:
>>>  You could still download, translate and upload your file without
>>>  notifying others.
>>>  That's why I would like the following to be implemented:
>>>  http://getsatisfaction.com/indifex/topics/commit_files_as_suggestion
>>>  Translate, submit and discuss before "pushing". (This is useful for
>>>  heavy files, not really if there are less than 20 strings).
>>>  But memory translation cross project would help avoiding what you
>>>  said. It's a tool, we need to define how we use it by team. There is
>>>  not only one way because in some project there are to much to
>>>  translate, in other we need to proofread many times depending on the
>>>  language..
>>
>> Translate, submit then push would be quite useful. We can just focus
>> on translating, without any worry on whether the file will be wrong
>> replaced. We can decide which translation should be pushed to
>> maintainer finally.
>
> Translation changes could be monitored using docs-commits mailing list till Fedora 14. It was quite useful for me to receive diff-formatted digests along with the person's contact details. I could proofread the changed part and apply corrections myself or contact the translator right away. It was also a good means to prevent destructive changes, in case of.
>
> Now it is different. I don't receive notifications when the modules are being altered in Transifex disregard subscriptions. I don't see the input and don't know to what extent the work is being done by each translator.

This is handled by Transifex.net. But you need to
* watch the file (upper right on the translation details window)
* change your account settings to send an email when there is an update.

I don't know if there is a diff, not sure at all.
But in the old process, while you were able to read the diff, the push
was already done.

> I'd like to ask for the previous functionality to be restored on the new platform if it's possible.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Misha Shnurapet, Fedora Project Contributor
> Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/shnurapet, GPG: 00217306

Kévin Raymond
User:shaiton
GPG-Key: A5BCB3A2