it's migration time. What about Fedora Docs ?

Domingo Becker domingobecker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:08:16 UTC 2011

2011/3/2 Valentin Laskov <laskov at festa.bg>:
> From: "Tseng, Cheng-Chia" <pswo10680 at gmail.com>
> | Wiki is uneasy to translate, there is no useful tool such as Poedit,
> | Lokalize etc. to do the work offline.
> |
> | It is also hard to know that if the source language has been updated
> | or not without notification.
> |
> | --
> | Sincerely,
> | by Cheng-Chia Tseng
> | --
>
> Every text editor is suitable for offline work. You can easy copy-paste source of the page from wiki to text editor and back to the
> wiki. Here is an example of main documentation in wiki [1].
>
> Wiki provides watchlists with pages for notification upon change/update.

I'm not from the Docs Team, but I saw a few things:

1. Docs writers don't want anyone to touch their original work. They
only accept (and sometimes they don't) comments and requests through
bugzilla. Perhaps this is the main reason why not using a wiki.
2. The same way, no one wants docs.fedoraproject.org content to be modifiable.
3. Docs writers use publican, which allows them  to write once and
produce many formats: html, html-single, pdf and epub.
4. The current workflow allows them to automate the publishing
process. You will see many times that as you translate and upload
translations, it will take 4 hours to a couple of days for your
content to be published somewhere in the web in all the formats
mentioned in 3. The automation is up to the doc-writer.

Perhaps you would get a more appropriate answer from the docs at l.fp.o list.

kind regards

Domingo Becker (es)