String freeze?

Domingo Becker domingobecker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 03:24:20 UTC 2011

2011/3/18 Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net>:
> Hi!
>
> I am a novice here (just about 1.5 years since I start to translate Fedora
> components), so could some one explain me what is Feodra string freeze?
>
> Last days I see continuous string changes in Fedora components (ABRT,
> Anaconda, system-config-printer, preupgrade) without any notice in this
> list. Is this expected?

It normally didn't happen before, but remember the change to the new
infrastructure was too close to the string freeze date, and it seems
it's not completed yet.

In the developers' learning process of the new tools anything could
happen. It seems they are starting to understand them.

Some projects will not be able to make it to the new infrastructure
either, before translation deadline.

I would tell you to hide the mistakes, translate the little new
strings and move on. That's what we did in the Spanish team.

We will be able to improve this in the next release.

My concern is in the many modules gnome has that will not be
translated for this release. I received some users' complains about
evolution untranslated strings in F14, for example. It didn't happen
in F13 and evolution hasn't changed too much. You can't have the
enterprise's communication software with some parts in English, some
people simply don't understand. The new gnome is a big change too, so
it's understandable to have many untranslated strings.

k.r.

Domingo Becker