Release Notes

Eric H. Christensen sparks at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 2 02:33:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 10:52:49PM +0900, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> 01.11.2011, 21:53, "John J. McDonough" <wb8rcr at arrl.net>:
> >>  Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:25:33 +0900
> >>  From: Misha Shnurapet <shnurapet at fedoraproject.org>
> >
> >   [clip]

> >>  I think it'd be better to have a list of contributors rather than a revision history log.
> >
> > A list of contributors would be great, but we haven't figured out how to
> > do that.  In the past we have tried but have never been able to get it
> > right, especially with the translators.  Perhaps the new tx offers some
> > options we haven't examined.  For writers, we can check the wiki
> > history, git commits and bugzilla, but there tend to be a lot of
> > translators that we don't know how to identify.
> >
> > As far as the revision history, that is necessary.  However, I also
> > question the value of translating it.
>
> There are two possible ways to deal with the list of translators as I see it:
> 1. to collect the names from the .po file headers, which are filled, AFAIK, automatically by Transifex;
This is possible but would be forever changing.

> 2. to omit this list (just like it is done now), naming the authors only.
And this doesn't feel correct, to me, as we would be leaving out contributors of the translations.

I would think that the best way would be to have translators add their name to the author list on their language's translations when translating.  This, unfortunately, doesn't work well with Publican.

I believe we discussed these problems at the FAD at Ohio Linux Fest and didn't really come up with a good way to do this except to provide attribution via a wiki page and have a link to the wiki page in the document.  A little clumsy I think.

- -- Eric

Eric H Christensen        eric at christensenplace.us
"Sparks"                  sparks at fedoraproject.org
097C 82C3 52DF C64A 50C2  E3A3 8076 ABDE 024B B3D1