Release Notes

Domingo Becker domingobecker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 17:20:45 UTC 2011

2011/11/1 Eric H. Christensen <sparks at fedoraproject.org>:

>> >   [clip]

>> > A list of contributors would be great, but we haven't figured out how to
>> > do that.  In the past we have tried but have never been able to get it
>> > right, especially with the translators.  Perhaps the new tx offers some
>> > options we haven't examined.  For writers, we can check the wiki
>> > history, git commits and bugzilla, but there tend to be a lot of
>> > translators that we don't know how to identify.
>> >
>> > As far as the revision history, that is necessary.  However, I also
>> > question the value of translating it.
>>
>> There are two possible ways to deal with the list of translators as I see it:
>> 1. to collect the names from the .po file headers, which are filled, AFAIK, automatically by Transifex;
> This is possible but would be forever changing.

There's no need to do this, because a translator-credits string would be enough.

>> 2. to omit this list (just like it is done now), naming the authors only.
> And this doesn't feel correct, to me, as we would be leaving out contributors of the translations.
>
> I would think that the best way would be to have translators add their name to the author list on their language's translations when translating.  This, unfortunately, doesn't work well with Publican.

In fact, it works perfectly well with Publican.

I tested it with Guillermo Gomez's permission in Software Management
Guide and the process is documented in [1].

In summary:

1. There should be a new Acknowledgements.xml with the contents
similar to Agradecimientos.xml in [2]. It is in Spanish, but a
doc-writer knows about xml, so it shouldn't be a problem.

2. This file should be linked in the Document_Name.xml file with a
line like the following:

 <xi:include href="Acknowledgements.xml"
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude" />

3. The translation that should be given for translator-credits string
is like the one shown in [3], or in English:
translator 1 <translator 1's email>, year <br>
translator 2 <translator 2's email>, year <br>
translator 3 <translator 3's email>, year
And this work should be done by the translator, and it means a lot of
work less for the document writer.

4. Publican will do the magic. All translator will be extracted from
the translator-credits string in the po file, which is team's
responsibility.

[1] http://rpmdev.proyectofedora.org/issues/488

[2] http://rpmdev.proyectofedora.org/issues/488#note-3

[3] http://rpmdev.proyectofedora.org/issues/488#note-2

You may test it with Release Notes. It's not too late.
It worked fine as I tested it.

kind regards

Domingo Becker