Two questions for Fedora translators

Miloš Komarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 11:14:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Petr Kovar <pkovar at redhat.com> wrote:
> lang_map = aln:aln-AL, ar:ar-SA, as:as-IN, bal:bal-PK, bg:bg-BG,
> bn:bn-BD, bn_IN:bn-IN, bs_BA:bs-BA, ca:ca-ES, cs:cs-CZ, da:da-DK,
> de_CH:de-CH, de:de-DE, el:el-GR, en_GB:en-GB, es:es-ES, fa:fa-IR, fi:fi-FI,
> fr:fr-FR, gu:gu-IN, he:he-IL, hi:hi-IN, hr:hr-HR, hu:hu-HU, id:id-ID,
> is:is-IS, it:it-IT, ja:ja-JP, kn:kn-IN, ko:ko-KR, lt:lt-LT, mai:mai-IN,
> ml:ml-IN, mr:mr-IN, ms:ms-MY, nb:nb-NO, nds:nds-DE, nl:nl-NL, nn:nn-NO,
> or:or-IN, pa:pa-IN, pl:pl-PL, pt_BR:pt-BR, pt:pt-PT, ro:ro-RO, ru:ru-RU,
> si:si-LK, sk:sk-SK, sl:sl-SI, sq:sq-AL, sr:sr-RS, sr at latin:sr-Latn-RS,
> sv:sv-SE, ta:ta-IN, te:te-IN, tr:tr-TR, uk:uk-UA, ur:ur-PK, vi:vi-VN,
> zh_CN:zh-CN, zh_HK:zh-HK, zh_TW:zh-TW

Mapping for sr and sr-Latn looks fine.

As per BCP 47, I would again like to propose dropping the region codes
altogether unless they are absolutely needed for regional
differentiation (pt-BR vs. pt-PL etc.), as many languages span country
borders. From [1]:

"You always start by choosing a primary language subtag, and often
this is all you'll need for your language tag.

Always bear in mind that the golden rule is to keep your language tag
as short as possible. Only add further subtags to your language tag if
they are needed to distinguish the language from something else in the
context where your content is used.

Like script subtags, you should only use a region subtag if it
contributes information needed in a particular context to distinguish
this language tag from another one; otherwise leave it out.

For example, en-GB might be a useful distinction for spell-checking,
but the region subtag in ja-JP is unlikely to be useful unless you are
intentionally contrasting it with Japanese spoken in other parts of
the world."

Regards,
Miloš

[1] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-choosing-language-tags