Two questions for Fedora translators

Petr Kovar pkovar at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 17:00:43 UTC 2011

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 12:10:49 -0300
Daniel Cabrera <logan at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 01:04 +0200, Petr Kovar wrote:
> > Hi Fedora translators!
> >
> > Could you guys please confirm that the following language mapping list
> > for the Fedora docs includes correct language and region codes?
> >
> > lang_map = aln:aln-AL, ar:ar-SA, as:as-IN, bal:bal-PK, bg:bg-BG,
> > bn:bn-BD, bn_IN:bn-IN, bs_BA:bs-BA, ca:ca-ES, cs:cs-CZ, da:da-DK,
> > de_CH:de-CH, de:de-DE, el:el-GR, en_GB:en-GB, es:es-ES, fa:fa-IR, fi:fi-FI,
> > fr:fr-FR, gu:gu-IN, he:he-IL, hi:hi-IN, hr:hr-HR, hu:hu-HU, id:id-ID,
> > is:is-IS, it:it-IT, ja:ja-JP, kn:kn-IN, ko:ko-KR, lt:lt-LT, mai:mai-IN,
> > ml:ml-IN, mr:mr-IN, ms:ms-MY, nb:nb-NO, nds:nds-DE, nl:nl-NL, nn:nn-NO,
> > or:or-IN, pa:pa-IN, pl:pl-PL, pt_BR:pt-BR, pt:pt-PT, ro:ro-RO, ru:ru-RU,
> > si:si-LK, sk:sk-SK, sl:sl-SI, sq:sq-AL, sr:sr-RS, sr at latin:sr-Latn-RS,
> > sv:sv-SE, ta:ta-IN, te:te-IN, tr:tr-TR, uk:uk-UA, ur:ur-PK, vi:vi-VN,
> > zh_CN:zh-CN, zh_HK:zh-HK, zh_TW:zh-TW
>
> Hi Petr,
> Mapping for es:es-ES seems fine.

Great, thanks!

> > To reduce maintenance burden on the Fedora guide owners, I'd like to come
> > up with a sort of canonical mapping list that could be shared between
> > multiple guides, branches and repositories.
>
> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 12:14 +0100, Miloš Komarčević wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Petr Kovar <pkovar at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > As per BCP 47, I would again like to propose dropping the region codes
> > altogether unless they are absolutely needed for regional
> > differentiation (pt-BR vs. pt-PL etc.), as many languages span country
> > borders. From [1]:
> >

> +1 From the Spanish team.

Frankly, I don't know much about Publican internals, but you might want to
file a bug against Publican.

> > On another note, I was wondering what is Fedora translators' opinion on
> > not publishing docs translations that are below a certain threshold level,
> > say 15% or 25%?
> >
> > I realized it would be worth asking you translators while I was working on
> > updating POT files and syncing translations for the Deployment Guide, since
> > the most complete translation for this guide is currently at ca. 10%.
> >
> > I know that translators can publish their translated documents themselves,
> > if they want to and have been added to the right permission group,
> > anyway. I'm however not sure how many people in the Fedora translation teams
> > actually do this.
> >
> > I'm CC'ing the Fedora docs list on this message.
> >

> Before the transition to tx.net we (the translation teams) were able to
> publish our translated versions of the guides. Perhaps this still is the
> best way for ease everyone's work, and in addition each team may use its
> own criteria on how and when to publish the guides. Eric made a wiki
> page in order to visualize which team is publishing [2].
> If we want to keep working like this in tx.net, we may need updated
> instructions here [3],

Yes, right. I checked and the instructions on that page seem to be
up-to-date. However, if you find anything wrong or outdated there, feel
free to contact the docs team, either over IRC or the mailing list.

> and a link to the proper git repository in each
> guide on tx.net to now from where to clone it.

You can find all the information (including the guide owner contact,
and the guide location on docs.fedoraproject.org) here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_guides_table

I've recently updated that table so that it should now provide
current information useful for both writers and translators.

> I remember Kevin offered himself to publish guides for any team that
> needed it, and of course you can count with me too.

Thanks for offering your help! I think that the first thing we need to do
is to better communicate when and what guides branched for F16 are ready for
translations.

Please bear with us while we are updating the guides for the upcoming
release and trying to take care of the not-so-trivial translation process
at the same time.

Thanks,
Petr Kovar