Window generator in git - new feature request

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Fri Feb 17 09:46:59 UTC 2012

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:00:05 +0200 було написано Valentin Laskov
<laskov at festa.bg>:

> Hi git team!
> Hi fedora translators team!
>
> I have an idea and want to share with you.
>
> I don't know what is git in details. I'm translating GUI and
> documentation of different programs to Bulgarian.
> I and translators have a problem and I think git and you can resolve it
> in a future release.
>
> In translating we have a number of sentences. When this is a
> documentation, it's easy to translate, especially if the translator
> knows how program works. But if text is from a GUI window, translator
> must know context used for each text - is this is a command or
> state description; text on a button or pop-up hint for this button... ?
> Even translator knows how program works, it is possible to
> have texts and windows he never seen.
>
> Imagine that based on a source code, git can generate windows of GUI
> program with all controls and texts may appear on them and
> these windows can be seen on a web site! This will be a great feature
> for translators!
>
> ... or this may be implemented in a new project? Or may be a virtual
> mashine, accessed by web, with all "installed" programs with
> "working" controls but without real actions...
>
> Cheers!
> Valentin Laskov

Hi!

As it seems to me, this goal is hardly feasible for the following reasons:

1. GNOME/GTK+ (as default Fedora does not use Qt) has no reliable form
compiler/viewer, that works for all version of GTK+.

2. If it has, it is more likely goal to implement compiling/viewing on the
client side (as it is done in Qt Linguist, just for GTranslator or even
some Qt application ;) ). And it has nothing with VCS anyway.

3. It is hard to implement all application use cases without some real
world examples. Even Linguist cannot show all message boxes, console
messages and backend feedback messages.

The feasible goal is just ease up for translators to find the real code
(not thoroughly implemented yet ;) ) and instruction on compiling this
code (the link on current project web page would be enough), imho.

For me, up-to-date links on git repositories on Transifex page, Nepomuk
and Lokalize do all the necessary work. After indexing of the cloned git
repository (it does not matter where it has been saved) I just click on
code link in Lokalize window and see the code. No misunderstanding, no
additional load on developers, no need to ask on IRC, sometimes even no
need to compile and run the application. ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Yuri