Fedora 17 Installation Guide and Installation Quick Start Guide ready for translation

Alick Zhao alick9188 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:54:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:50:53 +1000, Jack Reed wrote:
> Thanks for pointing this out, Alick. I will need to update the Zanata
> files with the translations made over the last month on Transifex. Due
> to logistical issues at my end, the files currently on Zanata are one
> month old. Updating them should, if I understand correctly, merely
> entail pulling the translation files from Transifex and pushing them to
> Zanata.
>
> Before I do that though, I will need to disable submissions to the two
> guides on Transifex. As per Dimitri's explanation in [1], I should be
> able to do so at [2] and at the equivalent URL for every file.
>
> However, I'm forbidden from accessing that URL. Might I need to be the
> owner of the project to disable submissions? Can anyone give me any
> advice on this?

I think so. Since I'm one of the current owners of install guide, I'm
editing the resources to mark them not accepting translation. It might
take some time because I can only edit them one by one. Can all the
owner/maintainers do the job simultaneously? Or someone can come up with
a smart script? Or should we just pull the current translations soon,
and then delete the project on transifex?

> In the meantime, could all translators please refrain from working on
> the Installation Guide and Installation Quick Start Guide in Zanata so
> that when I upload the updated files, your work isn't overwritten.

Might need to mark them as 'not accepting translations' on Zanata too
for the moment?

> As for why these guides have shifted to Zanata, there are a couple of
> reasons:
>
> 1) Transifex can't handle the long filenames that the sheer size of the
> Install Guide necessitates, so we have to maintain some kind of mapping
> between the filename and the Transifex module names. This requires a
> massive amount of manual handling.
> 2) Pushing and pulling the 800 small files that comprise the Install
> Guide across the 20+ languages that we have partial translations for is
> prohibitive as the connection keeps failing.

Thanks for the explanation. It is clear to me now :)

--
alick
Fedora 16 (Verne) user