Context in Technical Translation : Concept and Guidelines

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 11:40:49 UTC 2013

On 04/12/2013 03:35 PM, Rajesh Ranjan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel
> <ankit at redhat.com <mailto:ankit at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> On 04/12/2013 04:19 AM, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
>
> I had a similar idea but instead of making it so theoretical I
> though about making it facebook like.
>
> It should be something like this: A collaborative image tool
> allowing people to upload screenshots of the software, then the
> translators can go look at the picture and "tag" the different
> strings to a certain line in the PO and maybe even comment it.
>
> This way we can use the community instead of creating more work for
> the devs and connect better as a community.
>

> Why do we always have to ask devs only?
>
> Why can't we have another group of people (Say Fedora SIG for doing
> Contextualization of Fedora applications) taking care of this?
>
> Last month I wrote an e-mail to docs, test and i18n list about this:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.__org/pipermail/docs/2013-March/__014858.html

<http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/docs/2013-March/014858.html>

> Fedora needs work much from the context point...as I already wrote
> earlier that even Anaconda is not having a single line of context in
>  whole files given to translators. See how important Anaconda is and
> how it can effect badly, we can understand.
>
> Ankit, SIG is good...but it will be always good if the developer also
>  works with SIG and guides the SIG in writing the contextual
> information.

Rajesh, absolutely. Why do we have a testing team? why do we have an
i18n team?

Even though developers are supposed to make sure every package they
develop are i18n ready and tested well, still we have a team. Why?
certainly because there are things that might left untouched
unknowingly. For filling up that gap only, we should also have a group
taking care of contextualization w.r.t. software translations. And the
guide you have shared across would be of great help in that aspect.

Thanks!
--
Regards,
Ankitkumar Patel