New Websites translation workflow

Cheng-Chia Tseng pswo10680 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:03:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Kévin Raymond
<shaiton at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I would like to introduce you some changes that I am going to do on the
> Websites, that will change a bit the way your are managing the
> translations.
>
> It is not fixed yet, please give me your thoughts if you think that we
> need to
> improve some parts, remove others or just stick with my proposal.
> Don't be afraid, I won't introduce major changes! Oh wait, in fact I will
> (see
> point 5 if you don't want to read this email completly!)
>
> Here are the ideas, with an approximated schedule:
>
> 1. We have been pulling all translations twice hourly for years now from
> transifex.net (twice because we use staging). That is a slow process, and
> not
> really needed.
> Therefore we have started to only pull the translations daily, once (shared
> between stg and prod). This is effective only on staging actually, and
> will move
> to production soon. It is transparent on your side, but the fact that we
> pull
> the translations only once a day. You've been warned, now when you
> translate on
> transifex.net, it will only appear on the websites the day after.
> This could be moved to daily during string freeze, or a week before the
> release. Please tell us if it's needed (I don't think it's really needed
> but
> give your voice).
> Of course, if you've made a terrible mistake and something is bad on your
> translation, you'll need to wait untill the next day. This is bad. Try to
> think
> if it could happen. But you should really proofread your translations, and
> I am
> sure that you will never get this problem :)
> The POs files on the websites repository won't be used at build time. We
> get the
> POs directly from Transifex from inside our infrastructure.
> I need your help to check that it is working as it should. Please,
> translate on
> master, and proofread on stg.fedoraproject.org,
> spins.stg.fedoraproject.org,
> start.stg.fedoraproject.org and so on. I would like to be sure that with
> new
> POs it still work. (I can check it but your help is appreciated).
>
> (1.) Expected change by the 13th of Feb
>
> 2. Because the POs on the git repo won't be used at build time, they are
> probably going to be removed from the repo. Since Transifex keep an
> history and
> the push access are spread between teams, there should not be any really
> bad
> situation (like wrong language overriding). We could keep them here for the
> websites team, as we need to test some language build, but I think we will
> [...]

I would like Chinese (Taiwan) team have reviewers to review the work.

Actually, I have assigned one on the day I found that we can add reviewers.
However, the problem is that the trusted reviewer does not have much time
on this because he is also the coordinator on GNOME Chinese (Taiwan)
translation work. I tried to add myself as a reviewer too, but refused by
Transifex because it said that a coordinator cannot be a reviewer the same
time. The user should be unique in any lists.

I am wondering if a coordinator can review the translation work or not? Any
information on that?

--
Cheers,
by Cheng-Chia Tseng