New Websites translation workflow

Runa Bhattacharjee runab at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 31 18:28:44 UTC 2013

Hello Shaiton,

Thanks for letting us know about these changes. Please find answers in-line.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Kévin Raymond
<shaiton at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> 2. Because the POs on the git repo won't be used at build time, they are
> probably going to be removed from the repo. Since Transifex keep an history and
> the push access are spread between teams, there should not be any really bad
> situation (like wrong language overriding). We could keep them here for the
> websites team, as we need to test some language build, but I think we will
> remove them shortly (as I have seen some commit on Transifex to enable pulling
> without being logged in).

IMHO, removing anything completely out from the main repo is not a
good practice. Can't recall exactly, but sometime back I encountered a
situation where a new project maintainer had a hard time trying to
find and merge translations from a much older project for a different
(and newly created but related) project, as quite a lot of message
strings were reused. Even if there is a way to workaround a similar
situation, still I'd vote for non-removal of strings from the main
repo.

> 4. To let you work on new languages or new websites without loosing the visitors
> with a too light translation, we will start pulling only PO files translated at
> least with 30% of completion. Please tell me if 30% is too small, 50% could be
> fine but I am not sure if we want to make this websites dependant (like 50% of
> start.fpo Vs 50% of spins.fedoraproject.org).
> With this, a visitor won't be able to select the foo language is the website is
> not translated at more than 30% for this specific language.

Suggestion here: Do you think it would be possible to add in an
indicator or link of some sort which can let visitors know that this
particular language could do with some translation help and maybe link
them to the translation project page where they can sign up to
translate?

> 5. ...
> Here, on the websites team, we are going to pull reviewed translations only.
> That is going to be a *huge* change for you. Therefore, we can probably enable
> this feature for specific teams only. I don't know yet how this would be set.
> Please every coordinators, tell me if this is something that you don't want for
> your team.

-1 for Bengali-India. Please don't enable this setting for us.

Thanks
Runa