Source string contextualization

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 24 14:07:25 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Nilamdyuti Goswami <ngoswami at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While translating some of the fedora packages we often come across some
> source strings whose context or meaning is not clear. This results in wrong
> translations which is discovered later while using the actual application.
> This in turn effects the concerned application.
>
> To solve this issue, we have formed a Fedora SIG named "Source String
> Contextualizing Group" [1] aimed at
> providing concise yet meaningful description of the concerned source strings
> in the source code itself to ensure the correctness and quality in the
> resulting translations.

It is *just* about improving the source code?
There is already a Transifex feature which can help provide context
without having to edit the source code.

Best would be able to proofread on the app itself..
See what is going on with GTK:
http://gil.badall.net/2013/01/23/i18n-dreams-eventually-come-true/
http://deckard.malizor.org/

that's amazing.