Transifex has become proprietary

Marcelo Barbosa firemanxbr at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 10 14:10:41 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I am Coordinator of the Brazilian Portuguese Translators Team (
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N_Brazilian_Portuguese_Team) and would
like to leave my opinion:

1) The Transifex is a tool, such as yum, NetworkManager and many others
that we use every day, the Transifex has helped us do our job, but it is
only a tool and I don't see a problem to change for any other tool
supported by Fedora, the most important thing is we keep our principles 4 F
' s.

2) Today we have a process for new translators extremely broken and manual,
very different from other teams, I'm part of Packager team where process is
very clear and integrated with Fedora infra. A new translator need to
follow these steps to be approved:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Guide#Becoming _ a_Fedora_Translator,
we can realize there is no integration of Transifex with our FAS, Mailing
list, Badges and especially with our Wiki, I think it's more relevant to
the translation teams these issues than the interface.

Our work has been hard and every day to make our Brazilian team more
productive, less than 60 days ago were the 15 team, today are the 8 team
more productive in Transifex, but how do we translate our wiki? Today we
have procedures, manuals contained information only on the Wiki, then we
must divide our effort on two tools: Wiki and Transifex, we've worked with
two tools that do not integrate.
I value the principles of Fedora and I believe in open source as many of my
teammates believe, I have no problem in moving, because currently we need
change to solve the problems that we have, every change that represents a
small improvement will be very welcome.

Best regards.

firemanxbr