On Fedora's Localization platform

Robert Mayr robyduck at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 17 21:52:29 UTC 2014

> Hey all,
>
> I'll share some of my thoughts at this point.
>

> GIST
>
> Freedom is more than just access to a tarball. What kinds of Freedom is
> Fedora enjoying and giving up by using a platform like Transifex or GitHub?
>
> What is the Board's position about using non-open-source but open-friendly
> services? How much should we sacrifice to only run open-source on our
> servers?
>
> Research thoroughly all possible solutions and find out what exactly we'll
> be sacrificing and gaining. Pootle is much more trusted than Zanata.
> Ask all key Fedora L10n people. Past and current.
> Any switch should be led by a technical Fedora localization person.
> The goal should be to make Fedora L10n a successful project. The tools are
> just tools. The most important community features in Transifex have not been
> used.

[snip]

> --
> Dimitris Glezos
> Founder & CEO, Transifex
> https://www.transifex.com/

Dimitris,
we need to be consistent IMHO, if one of our foundations is FREEDOM we
can't use non-free tools, or at least we should not use them if we
have alternatives. As a mentor I'd feel bad telling people about
Fedora's values and knowing at the same time the Project itself is not
consistent with exactly these values. It's the same discussion we had
for 3d party repositories, but we should focus on this single topic.
Zanata actually is an alternative, probably not on the same level as
TX, but anyway, I'd feel better using Zanata knowing we are respecting
or 4 foundations, than staying on a proprietary tool.
Best regards.

--
Robert Mayr
(robyduck)