Fedora names not to be translated

Cheng-Chia Tseng pswo10680 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 23:24:54 UTC 2014

Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> 於 2014年11月6日星期四寫道:

> On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 06:48:26AM +0800, Cheng-Chia Tseng wrote:
> > > Hey everyone. I don't know if this has come up already, but: names of
> > > the new Fedora.next variants should not be translated. That is:
> > >  * Fedora Workstation
> > >  * Fedora Server
> > >  * Fedora Cloud
> > But people don't know too much about English in my country. Easy words
> are
> > OK while technical terms might be a problem.
> >
> > It is odd to keep them untranslated as workstation, server and cloud are
> > all common words in speech.
>
> That's actually somewhat part of the problem. We want to keep them as
> part of the name, not separate merely-descriptive words. Hopefully in
> most cases there will be accompanying text which _is_ translatable.

That would be better.

By the way, we don't see organization or company use common words as brand
name.

For example, Mozilla use Firefox, Thunderbird as brand name for browser and
mail client. They don't use Mozilla Browser and Mizilla Mail as brand name
in this case.

Keeping words like workstation, server not translated is like to keep words
like browser, mail, office suite untranslated, in my opinion.

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org <javascript:;>>
> Fedora Project Leader