Fedora names not to be translated

Cheng-Chia Tseng pswo10680 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 01:20:20 UTC 2014

Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> 於 2014年11月17日星期一寫道:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 09:09:01PM +0800, Cheng-Chia Tseng wrote:
> > > It is somehow related to Brand Communication and Journaling.  For news
> > > reports and other conditions, people can translate the term "Microsoft"
> > > into Chinese.  But for the official documents from Microsoft, they
> will use
> > > "Microsoft" only.  So you will not buy a box of software with the name
> "微軟"
> > > written on it.  It is not their official brand name.
> > That's not true.
> >
> > 微軟 is their official name in Chinese area. They even registered
> > 微軟 as their trademark.
>
> Which I don't think we have the resources to do. However, if it feels
> _really_ important and you want to work with Fedora Design / Brand and
> Fedora Legal on it it might not be impossible.

OK, I got it.

"fedora workstation", "fedora server", "fedora cloud" and "fedora atomic"
are reserved as brand name and should not be translated. If we want them to
be translated, it would be better to cooperate with Fedora Design/Brand and
Fedora Legel to register those translated names in corresponding regions to
protect our products.

What about "workstation", "server" and "cloud" which does not not contain
*fedora* in the beginning listed in Download page? They refer to the
corresponding product, but do not use the brand name. I believe using
translated names here could be a guide for local people to find the product
suits him/her better in his/her language. I would like to know what's the
posisition from Fedora Legel on this issue?

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org <javascript:;>>
> Fedora Project Leader