NEED YOUR HELP: Language list

Piotr Drąg piotrdrag at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 12:05:41 UTC 2014

> Hi team coordinators
>
> I have created the language list and added in the spreadsheet[1]. There
> are a couple of unclear issues to me and I like to ask for your help.
>
> ALL language: Please check your language and confirm whether the code to
> be used is correct. Open with zoho and fill 'Yes' if correct, or 'No' if
> not and enter correct code into next column.

I've marked Polish as "yes".

> Cornish: In the team list, there are four language names listed with
> five language codes. Could you confirm which languages with which codes
> to be added in new instance?
>
> Portuguese (Brazil): In the team list, the code is pt_br. Do you wish to
> have all 'br' in lowercase, but not capital?

The team might as well be called "pt_br", but locale is pt_BR and
(more importantly) PO files are named pt_BR.po, upstream and
downstream. It's important to stay compatible.

> Serbian (Latin): In the team list, the code is sr at latin. Please confirm
> this is correct?

I can safely say that it is indeed correct. Overall, the whole list is
correct, with the exceptions of:

* pt_br (as noted above)

* en_US shouldn't provide any PO files. American English serves as the
C (default) locale.

* Chinese (China) (GB2312) and Chinese (Taiwan) (Big5) - these look
redundant, we should have just "zh_CN" for Chinese (Simplified) and
"zh_TW" for Chinese (Traditional) [and optionally "zh_HK" for Chinese
(Hong Kong), as noted by Cheng-Chia Tseng]. There is no need to have
separate teams for languages with specified encodings. I don't know
how these teams made it into our Transifex.

* no (Norwegian) is an umbrella code for two "variants" of Norwegian:
nb (Norwegian Bokmål) and nn (Norwegian Nynorsk). Only nb and nn
should provide PO files.

* I'm also not sure about Cornish. I would prefer to have only one
translation team (our resources are finite, after all), but it's ok if
any active Cornish translator thinks we need more.

* Twi language appeared on the list with the "tw" code. I didn't know
there is any movement to translate FLOSS into Twi (and I'd be happy if
there would be), but the glibc locale code appears to be "ak"
(similarly to ISO 639-1). If we have any volunteers to translate into
Twi, we should probably use ak language code.

Thank you for working on this and best regards,

--
Piotr Drąg
http://raven.fedorapeople.org/