An official trademark policy for CheapBytes-type RHL CDs?

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Mon Aug 18 02:31:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 20:04, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

[snip]

> I think someone said very early on that this was being worked on but it
> would take a while to make sure it was a 'valid' policy in the eyes of
> US and International Trademark law. I wish whoever is doing this luck..
> I got a migraine on trying to read a 'simple' last will and testament
> with all the parties, side restrictions, etc etc.

  I have a suggestion.  How about renaming the Red Hat Linux Project to
the Blue Sombrero Linux Project (or something like that).  Then include
a bluesombrero-logos rpm (with a 'Provides: redhat-logos', of course)
and an anaconda-bluesombrero-images rpm (again, with Provides...).  The
Red Hat Enterprise line will then be the only project to bear the Red
Hat logos and trademarks.  Then, others can burn, sell, or give away
isos of Blue Sombrero Linux without infringing on Red Hat's trademarks.
  Don't know how well it would work, but if it's to be a true community
project, it ought to be possible to distribute isos of the release.  And
no one wants to burden Red Hat with support calls that would inevitably
result if Red Hat's name were to appear on the product.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator