An official trademark policy for CheapBytes-type RHL CDs?

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Tue Aug 19 00:11:56 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 17:23, James J. Ramsey wrote:
> --- Paul Iadonisi <pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 20:04, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> >
> >   I have a suggestion.  How about renaming the Red
> > Hat Linux Project to
> > the Blue Sombrero Linux Project (or something like
> > that).
>
> Interesting thought. Not sure if "Blue Sombrero" would
> be the best name, but having

  Right, Blue Sombrero was just an example.  Anything sufficiently
different from Red Hat would probably be fine.

> 1) a trademark sufficiently different from the name
> "Red Hat Linux" that unsupported users won't bug RH
> tech support, and

  Well, it would likely have to be something that is *not* trademarked
if it's use is to not be limited.  US Trademark law requires diligent
enforcement in order to keep the trademark.  Sure it could start off as
a trademark, but once it was in common, unfettered use, any attempt to
enforce it as a trademark would likely fail.

[snip]

> "Fedora Linux" has a nice ring.

  How about Fedora Freshrpms OS. ;-)  (Provided Matthias and Warren
don't have a problem with this, of course.)

[It is Warren Togami who is the Fedora maintainer, correct?  (Or maybe
*a* maintainer.)  I know Matthais Saou is the Freshrpms lead.]

  Actually, Fedora Linux does sound better.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator