Solution to pine/pico install, libcom_err.so.3 dependency

Nejaa Halcyon nejaa at racc2000.com
Mon Dec 1 03:20:24 UTC 2003

I had one heck of a time getting pine/pico installed on Core 1. Finally
getting it to work, I assumed there is at least one other person who is
having this problem. Here's how I got to install...

Installing the pine rpm from RH's archive (via apt-get, yum, or
whatever) failed, needing libcom_err.so.3. A quick check revealed that
this is part of Kerberos, and not included in Core 1 for some reason.

A little bit of research told me that the easiest way around that was to
recompile the pine source on Fedora, taking the libcom absence into
account. A post from Mike Harris pointed me to his repository
(ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/pine) that includes
his recompiled rpm of pine that works like a charm on Fedora.

So, just download Mike's rpm
(ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/pine/4.58-2/i386/pine-4.58-2.i386.rpm) and install that baby:

  (as root, of course)
  cd /path/that/contains/pine
  rpm -ivh pine-4.58-2/i386.rpm

and that should do it.

Please let me know if this was helpful at all,
-Nejaa