Cedilla Problem!

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 17:10:32 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 08:27, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2003, Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
>
> > I've had that problem ever since RH8 (I think).
> > In some circumstances, the proper character is written, but gtk widgets
> > and mozilla don't seem capable.
>
> > I think that the wrong character is being used ever since the move to
> > UTF-8, but I can't find which is which.
>
> Why would anyone expect ' c to generate something different from ć?
> Sure enough, we used to abuse it to generate ç, but with an
> international configuration, since there are languages that do use ć,
> they have to get preference for the obvious meaning of ć.  So we, poor
> users of ç (or any other ¸s) have to use Compose (generally the right
> Alt key), comma and the letter under which the Cedilla character
> should be placed.  Worksforme, at least in Fedora Core 1.  I vaguely
> remember that it worked in RHL9 as well, and possibly even on 8.0.  If
> you want the gory details, there are bugzilla reports about this, but
> I don't have the bug numbers handy.

Right, but actually we did add some conveniences recently for users
who don't need ć but do need ç:

 * If your LC_CTYPE points to a language that uses the cedilla
   (pt, fr, tr, etc.), then GTK+ will by default use the
   'imcedilla' input method which differs from the default input
   method only in the matter of the this compose sequence.

   So, put LC_CTYPE=pt_BR.UTF-8 in your /etc/sysconfig/i18n or ~/.i18n.
   This does not affect the language of the user interface.

   (If your are running with LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8, then LC_CTYPE is
   automatically set appropriately, of course.)

* You can also manually force the the choice of input method by setting
  then environment variable GTK_IM_MODULE to 'imcedilla'.

Regards,
						Owen