Minimum system to support RedHat Fedora Linux

Don dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 18:59:02 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-admin at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-admin at redhat.com]On Behalf Of Jim Taylor
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 6:03 PM

{snip]
I have a used PC available for this purpose, but it has only 64MB RAM
and will barely boot the install CD in graphics mode, and it is VERY
SLOW, slow enough to discourage people from giving Linux a try.

And ideas and recommendations would be appreciated

Jim

I have Fedora Core running on my (very) old IBM Aptiva.... I had to replace
the hard drive because the stock 2.something GB was too tiny. I put in a
16GB drive (from my spare parts drawer) The machine won't boot from the new
hard drive so I keep the boot-diskette inserted all the time.

The machine is a Pentium 60MHz, 96 Meg RAM, CD-ROM drive (non-bootable)

I never got X to work, but I shoved it under a desk somewhere and use it in
text mode only, as a web, ftp and mail server. Works great. Anything I need
to do to it I use an ssh session from one of my other machines on my LAN.

I think this is a good example of how a really obsolete piece of hardware
can have a few more miles squeezed out of it. :-)

I wish I could get X installed on it properly though so I could run an
X-Windows session from one of my other machines.... I don't see why that
shouldn't work.  I'll have to add that to my to-do list.

Don