Minimum system to support RedHat Fedora Linux

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Dec 2 03:52:00 UTC 2003

Matthew Zimmerman wrote:
> Yeah, it seems that the most critical issue is the amount of memory,
> especially running XFree86 + GNOME or KDE. I have an old Celeron 500 MHz,
> 10 GB disk, integrated (i810) audio and video, and the only thing I
> had to do to get it running FC1 quite useably was upgrading the memory
> to 192 MB (from 64 MB).

There's a US$77 Dell computer with similar specs on ComputerGeeks.com right
now.  It has a 500MHz Intel Celeron and comes with 128MB RAM and a 6GB hard
drive.  It can hold 512MB max RAM and (after a BIOS update, still available
at Dell) you could put in a larger hard drive.  At $77 for the computer,
each 256MB RAM stick costs roughly as much as the machine.  I'm considering
buying one, maxing out the RAM and loading FC1 on it for a relative of mine.

The weakest part of that machine is its lack of AGP port and weak video
hardware (with the built-in video hardware you only get 24-bit color at
800x600).  Adding some older PCI videocard should fix the video problems and
cost roughly $20 more.  It has built-in sound hardware and a built-in NIC
too.  I hope these work well with FC1.

I searched around and found a retailer who will sell a 1.1GHz Pentium III
CPU replacement that is said to be a drop-in replacement for the Celeron.

If anyone has tried these machines, I'd appreciate an e-mail on how well
they work with any recent GNU/Linux distribution.