installing packages omitted from initial install

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Tue Dec 2 04:52:26 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 14:08, Don wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 20:11, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> > The easiest way would be to use redhat-config-packages with the --tree
> > option, and then select everything.
>
> I tried that and get this error:
[snip]
> I never did get X installed on that system... I use ssh to come in from
> another (bigger/faster/more capable) machine.

Ah, yes.  That a graphical program, so it will only work with X.

> > Alternatively, you could do it by hand, which requires some playing
> > around to get it right:
> >
> > If you can somehow mount the install directory containing the rpms
> > (which should be easy if its one of yours, eg by nfs) then you can just
>
> That sounds cool, but I don't know how to do that. The ftp server is on
> a Win2000 machine..... I'm working toward an all-linux set up, but
> that's anothr story.
>
> > cd <wherever>
> > rpm -Uvh *rpm
>
> That sounds the simplest.... all I need now is to learn how to mount a
> windows folder over the network.... Ill see what I can find ...

If you have physical access to the machine, you could insert the cd's
into the drive, and cd (change directory) to each cd (compact disc :)
one by one.  This may leave some dependacy problems across cd's so
alternatively you could copy all rpms to a temporary folder, and do it
that way.

Thinking about it a bit more, you can copy them via ftp to a local
folder, and then do the rpm thing.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.nospam.com.au>

Thus spake the master programmer:
	"Time for you to leave."
		-- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"