installing packages omitted from initial install

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Tue Dec 2 06:45:23 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 16:07, Don wrote:
> [root at rocky temprpm]# rpm -Uvh *.rpm
> warning: package glibc = 2.3.2-101 was already added, replacing with
> glibc <= 2.3.2-101
>
> Is this a bug where decision to skip needs to include the "equal"
> condition? Or is it a feature that allows the reinstallation of
> previously installed rpms?

No, and no!  To reinstall previously installed rpms, you need to use
--force.  The reason you're seeing this is glibc comes in various
flavours for i386, i686, etc.  (Remember the 'be careful' part of one of
my previous emails? :)

The rpm message (I think) is saying you've already listed glibc on the
command line (in *rpm), but its found another one (in *rpm) that it
should be doing instead.  So its removed the previous one from its
about-todo list.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.nospam.com.au>

No part of this message may reproduce, store itself in a retrieval system,
or transmit disease, in any form, without the permissiveness of the author.
		-- Chris Shaw