Chinese support

Shi-ming Chen shiming.cv90g at nctu.edu.tw
Tue Dec 2 09:39:55 UTC 2003

Gordon Messmer wrote:

> I normally avoid the .i18n file entirely, leave the language support
> at English (since that's what should be the default), and create icons
> for the applications I need in Japanese (should be able to do the same
> with Chinese) that launch like this:
>
> env XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2" LANG=ja_JP.eucJP gedit
>
> This way, the xinput (kinput2) program runs all the time, and only
> applications which I've specifically set up an icon for will use it.
> If you set up an icon for a terminal, you can use that to start other
> Chinese locale applications.

This is what I want. But how to let the xinput (kinput2) program "runs
all the time"?
In my situation, I use xcin to input with traditional chinese, and I
think the solution is the same with xinput or kinput2. I started gedit
with LANG corectly, but I could not type words except English in it
(that is, no xcin).

Can you explan the method more detail?
Thank a lot.