Updating Busted By Busy Servers?

Kit Knox kit at rootshell.com
Wed Dec 3 00:19:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 16:09, nosp wrote:

> I'd recommend people try mirrors.kernel.org or one of the other FC
> mirrors on http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html .  Plenty of
> bandwidth out there.  Change /etc/yum.conf and/or
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.

It really seems that an official Fedora load balancer is needed.  It
should be aware of mirrors, and each file that they contain.  Assuming
the requested file has made it to a given mirror, it is then in the pool
that a simple 302 redirector can use.

There has been separate talk of integrating BitTorrent into update
functionality as well.  A simple load balancer would go a long way in
the meantime.

Having people hacking up their sources files constantly just isn't a
good long term solution.

-Kit