SV: weird characters in man pages and html

Paolo Nesti Poggi pnp at italyflash.com
Wed Dec 3 10:58:00 UTC 2003

> William Hooper wrote:
> > Paolo Nesti Poggi  said:
> >
> >>I'm accessing my fedora trough ssh using secureCRT on Windows
> 98 (however
> >>what I'll describe happens also using putty).
> >

> > You need to set PuTTY to use UTF-8 (not sure how to do the same with
> > secureCRT).
>
> I've never heard a method to convince secureCRT to interpret the UTF-8
> character set.  If you find one, please post it.
>
> I always recommend PuTTY anyway.  It supports UTF-8, provides an ssh
> agent, and is Free Software.  It's far better, IMO, than secureCRT or
> SSH.COM's client.

Yes, that solved the problem on PuTTY, thank you. I'm not going to "debug"
SecureCRT, it can't handle UTF-8 and that's it.

However it's good to know that Fedora is setup by default to handle UTF-8,
not so many applications do the same.

I had problems also with html pages on apache because they were written with
non UTF-8 editors. My dansih characters became Chinese pictograms, so I
changed the configuration line
	AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
into
	AddDefaultCharset on

that defaults to iso-8859-1 and that solved the issue.

I hear that Debian people use the above line pr. default in relation to a
security advisory:
http://www.apache.org/info/css-security/

In this process I also learned of the existence of "recode"
http://www.gnu.org/search/fsd-search.py?q=recode

>From the gbu.org page:
"The program recognizes or produces approx. 150 character sets and can
convert almost any character set to almost any other".

So I'm now able to convert my html pages to UTF-8.

Thank you all for your help, hope the above can help someone else too
Paolo