ACPI on laptop not working after passing acpi=on to kernel

Nicholas Allen Allen.Nicholas at lycos.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 17:56:27 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have installed Fedora Core 1 on my laptop but the ACPI is not working. I
have edited the grub.conf to pass acpi=on as a boot option. However, there is
no /proc/acpi directory. The documentation does not say I need to do anything
else. Does anyone have any ideas what I need to do?

When I look in /proc I notice I still have /proc/apm. Do I need to disable apm
somehow. I've stopped apmd from running but that didn't help.

I know the laptop has ACPI because it is new and I had a custom kernel
compiled when I used RedHat 9 and managed to get it working. I could go
through all that hassle again with Fedora but I was under the impression this
isn't needed as ACPI is supported in Fedora.

Thanks in advance

Nicholas Allen